Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas thoughts

As Christmas approaches and TCU students are finishing up final exams, study up and ponder these holiday thoughts:

  • 10, 9, 8, 7…..Counting today, you have 10 shopping days left. Plenty of time to get it all done.
  • I don’t look at Christmas cards as a chore. I look at them as an opportunity to work on my penmanship.
  • High school football fans, Cowboys Stadium is your Mecca this weekend. Starting Thursday and running through Saturday, there are three state championship games per day. Check your local listings for teams and times.
  • Speaking of championships, here’s my Top 5 favorite Christmas carols:
  1. "Silent Night" – I always tear-up.
  2. "The Christmas Song" – Nat King Cole. What a voice.
  3. "O Come, All Ye Faithful" – I call it the Christmas fight song. I can hear the TCU marching band playing it!
  4. Any Christmas song by Mitch Miller – sing along with Mitch!
  5. "Jingle Bells" – strong finish to my five-song set!
  • Have I told you how last year my Christmas lights knocked out the breaker that also feeds the refrigerator in the garage? It happened while I was at the Rose Bowl. You should have seen the mess when I got back from Pasadena!
  • Speaking of Christmas lights, I’ve not gone LED yet. I’m an old-fashioned C9 big bulb fan.
  • Frog fans, start getting ready. We are six days away from the Poinsettia Bowl. This is the biggest game of the year, if you care about how TCU will launch into the Big 12 Conference. Check out Louisiana Tech. They’re good.

Finally, just a reminder that while the Christmas season tends to put us all in a rush, it’s important to slow down and take time to reach out to those most important to you and tell them how you feel about them. I know I get in a rush trying to get “things” done. Instead of concentrating on “things,” I’m trying to concentrate on “people.” I hope you’ll do the same.

Also, it’s our own responsibility to be happy at this “joyful” time of year, so whatever or whoever gets you to that place, go there!

Merry Christmas!

Kick ‘Em High!

1 comment:

  1. I love you John Denton....you are the consummate TCU King of all that's happening. Merry, Merry!

    ReplyDelete